!Let's Talk! Button

Why You Should Never Feed Your Pet Grapes or Raisins

August 1, 2021

Have you ever considered feeding your dog or cat a grape or its dried counterpart, the raisin? Don’t do it! It turns out that grapes and raisins can actually prove toxic to our animal friends. These humble fruits can cause poisoning and even death in the most extreme cases. Read on as your local veterinarian discusses grape and raisin poisoning in pets.


 Why are grapes and raisins poisonous?

You might be surprised to learn that no one is sure exactly why grapes and raisins are toxic to pets. A fungal byproduct called mycotoxin could be responsible. Some think that pesticides sprayed on the fruit could play a role. To make it even more confusing, some pets seem to be able to eat the fruit without suffering any ill effects at all. But whatever the cause, it’s just not worth the risk. Give your pet something you know is safe.


Symptoms

Symptoms of grape or raisin poisoning usually appear fairly quickly. These may include lethargy, increased thirst, vomiting, and diarrhea. Without proper treatment, renal failure (the medical term for kidney failure) can occur. Unfortunately, this can be fatal. That’s why it’s so important to keep your veterinarian’s number on hand to call in the event of an emergency. Take your pet to the vet’s office as soon as possible if you know or suspect that they’ve ingested grapes or raisins.


Treatment

To treat grape or raisin poisoning, the toxin must be flushed from your pet’s system as quickly as possible. This might be achieved by induced vomiting. Your vet may recommend activated charcoal to absorb the remaining toxin in your pet’s stomach. Pets that have progressed to kidney failure might require intravenous fluid therapy or even blood transfusions in the most serious cases. Follow your vet’s specific instructions.


Prevention

It’s always best to prevent issues when you can, rather than dealing with it once it’s happened. Luckily, in this case, that’s as easy as restricting your furry friend’s access to these foods at all times. Keep these–and other unsafe foods–in the refrigerator, or closed cabinets or containers, out of paws’ reach. Also beware of foods that contain grapes or raisins, like desserts or salads.


Would you like more advice on foods your pet shouldn’t eat? Give your vet’s office a call today. We’re always happy to help.

  • All
  • Dog Care
  • General care
  • Uncategorized

Canine Flu

Did you know that your canine companion can get the flu? In fact, there’s an…
Read More

Blepping In Cats

Have you ever spotted your cat just sitting there with her tongue sticking out? This…
Read More
Dog harness on 2 dogs

Dog Collar or Harness? – The Pros and Cons

If you enjoy walks with Fido as much as he does, ensuring he wears the…
Read More

Are Christmas Trees Safe for Pet Birds?

If you’re thinking about buying a Christmas tree this holiday season, you might be wondering…
Read More
White cat with gray ears scratching its head

Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome

Feline hyperesthesia syndrome—which is also called rolling skin syndrome and twitchy cat disease—is a rather…
Read More
Gray adult cat

National Pet Cancer Awareness Month

November is National Pet Cancer Awareness Month, and you guessed it -just like humans, pets…
Read More
Dachshund sitting in a comfy sofa

What Dog Is Best for an Apartment?

We know what you’re thinking: “I love dogs, but I live in an apartment. How…
Read More
Brown hairy poodle

Poodle Day

Today, October 1st, is Poodle Day! These iconic dogs have very unique appearances, and make…
Read More
Five brown corgies in a yellow couch and brown basket

The Queen’s Corgis

All eyes are on Britain this week, with the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, who…
Read More
1 2 3 7